Another Closet Door Update

I recently posted about these sliding closet doors I built for my foyer. In preparation for the arrival of our little one earlier in the year, I took on another closet door update. We had the same type of doors on most of our closets. Though the doors in the nursery were made of some type of hardboard panel covered in thin vinyl instead of mirrored glass.

Before

They had seen better days, to say the least. They vinyl covering was peeling, puckered and d-i-r-t-y. I had considered painting but I wasn’t sure if that would adhere and/or make the cover pucker more. I had briefly considered removing the doors but feel like curtains-as-doors is too reminiscent of dorm room decor {not judging, I lived with them in my entry for over two years}.

I shopped around for wallpaper and found that only commercial wallpaper comes in widths wider than the doors. That meant I was going to have seams. In order to get the most bang for my buck I needed to find a relatively small repeat in pattern. I also wasn’t sure how the creases in the vinyl were going to look, so perhaps something textured? Grasscloth wasn’t exactly the look I was going for in the nursery and I wasn’t sure how complicated it would be to hang. So, I finally settled on some Anaglypta-type wallpaper. I considered this faux beadboard but was afraid the vertical lines would only highlight if the doors or walls weren’t square. I found this pressed tin paintable wallpaper and at $12.97 per roll, it was the winner!


To prep the surface first, I used my handy Magic Eraser to remove all of the dirt and grime. It even worked to remove the arrows that someone had drawn on in marker. Next, I used a carpet knife to cut the edges of vinyl and pull off where it wasn’t adhered to the backing.

After prepping the surface, I followed the directions on the wallpaper and hung it on the closet doors. I would have liked to take down the doors to place the paper on a flat surface but was too afraid that I wouldn’t be able to get them back in the track correctly. Anyway, the seams were surprisingly {for me} easy to line up due to the geometric pattern. I just needed to keep going back and sliding the paper into place as it dried. The result…

And a little closeup of the pattern, which is more distinct in person.

And a little Before/After comparison for you. Even in the sub-par photo you can see a huge improvement this project made.

I love them {even though we don’t live there anymore}. Have you made any closet door improvements that you’re in love with?

Ciao for now!

Lauren

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Another Closet Door Update

  1. Thanks for showing this! THis is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I’m trying to update my kids room and with our house being a rental didnt want to spend alot of $$ replacing/updating the closets.

      1. Thank you so much! We have the same problem at my house. I also couldn’t find affordable wide wallpaper, so I was looking for an alternative. I thought I’d try something similar to what you’ve done, but I was afraid it wouldn’t turn out looking good. You gave me hope 🙂

Please don't be shy! I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s